Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Standing on a Corner in Duncan, Arizona

My Uncle John passed away over the summer, and since then I have been trying to get up to Duncan to see my Aunt Jenna (my mom’s older sister) every couple weeks.  I’ve taken my dad and my sister with me a couple times, and always the girls, but this week Kris was off and got to go with me. 

When I go, I take a couple meals for her and my cousin.  I’m not the best cook, but I love doing it, so its fun to get to plan different things I can take to her.  I love making food for my aunt for a couple reasons.  The first is that she makes me feel like I’m the most amazing cook ever!  She calls me and is so grateful and tells me how good everything was.  It makes me feel SO good.  The second is that a lot of the time when I’m cooking, my mind goes wandering to my mom and my grandma, especially when I know I’m taking the food I’m making to my aunt.  Its such a lovely time for me to get to reflect on my heritage.

This week was chicken & dumplings and macaroni salad (I should’ve taken a picture!).:)

After we visited with Jenna and Annie got to play with the puppies a bit (They are totally NOT puppies!  One of them comes face-to-face with Annie…she’s huge!), we stopped at the 3 Sisters Bakery on the highway.  We got cookies and ice cream.  It was a fun day and I was so glad we got to spend it all together!Family-090Family-095Family-096 Family-109 Family-112

No comments:

Post a Comment