Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'm Not Super Great at Living in Idaho

I signed up to make a cake for a funeral in our new ward.  And then I burned it.  I never burn cakes.  Never.
Also, my kids puked from Mesa to Salt Lake City on the night of our move.
Then everybody got the flu.
Then Kris got to spend the night in the hospital with a viral infection (at least it wasn't pneumonia, right?!).
Then everybody got the sniffles and coughs and snotty noses.
Kris has been without a job for 3 1/2 weeks.
On top of that...Idaho has weather.  WEATHER.  I had to go find jackets for my kids because I was not prepared for weather!
I get lost pretty much everywhere I go. 
And then there was the night that the girls cried and cried that they wanted to go home.  We tried to explain that this is our home now.  Annie's response?  "This is Grandma's home.  I want to go to my yellow home."  I've heard this a couple times since.
Sensing a pattern?  Yeah.  Me too.
Really, truthfully, I thought moving would be the hard part.  Why did I think that?  No.freaking.clue.  I just did.  It was so hard to pack up our 1500 square feet and load it into a Uhaul and drive away from our home.  Our home.  The place where my babies learned to walk.  The house we designed and built and struggled in.  My 6 burner gas stove.  Not to mention, my hometown.  Yes, it was a little rough living there sometimes, but I loved it.  I was safe and comfortable and okay there.  It was like Cheers...everybody knew my name.  I'm missing that.  A lot.
What kind of weirdos just pack up and move to Idaho?  Us.  We do.  Call it a leap of faith, because that's exactly what it was.  And I really thought the leap of faith was in the packing and getting to Idaho.  Not enduring the first 2 1/2 weeks of being here.  
Kris has said a few times that we're having a "Lehi experience".  We prayed about what to do and where to go, got an answer, and left everything.  Although, I don't anticipate destruction in Thatcher or anything.:)  I'm working really hard to finish the Book of Mormon before the end of June (so I can read it twice during 2013) and I'm highlighting every instance of the word "faith".  But really, I feel like I'm relating with Sariah every day.  She had amazing faith to just pack up and leave Jerusalem, leaving her family and friends and home behind.  What I really love about her though is that I know she complained (see 1 Nephi 5 if you don't believe me!).  There she was...faith faith faith faith complain repent faith faith faith faith...  
The running joke right now is that I'm not going to be blessed for enduring the trials we're having right now because I'm not enduring them well.  I'm complaining.  I'm horrible at living in Idaho.  Everything feels like a burden.  The thing I love about my Heavenly Father (among many things, of course) is His ability to gently remind me and push me towards humility.  Sunday we had a lesson in Relief Society that I had already heard weeks ago at home.  But let me tell you, I needed that lesson WAY more this time around than I did before.  It was Lorenzo Snow Chapter 7.    The whole lesson...remarkable.  But my gentle reminder was this:  
   
...The Lord has from time to time given us trials and afflictions, if we may so call them; and sometimes these trials have been of that nature that we have found it very difficult to receive them without murmur and complaint. Yet at such times the Lord blessed us and gave us sufficient of His Spirit to enable us to overcome the temptations and endure the trials.
Every man and woman who serves the Lord, no matter how faithful they may be, have their dark hours; but if they have lived faithfully, light will burst upon them and relief will be furnished.

Things have just not gone the way I expected.  Like, at all.  I thought moving would be the hard part but its all hard.  And I think all my prayers have just been long-winded complaints to my Heavenly Father about how nothing is going the way I want.  HOWEVER...He is so patient with me and gentle and kind and long-suffering.  Especially long-suffering.  
   
 

1 comment:

  1. Mary I am so sorry to hear all that you are going through. Justin has been out of work since the end of April also and we had to move in with family...it's hard to understand why. I hope things get better soon!

    ReplyDelete