Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Over the last month here in Idaho, I have had to remind myself over and over again that we didn't come here to fail.  The thought itself actually came from a quote I found on a small piece of notebook paper, stuffed inside a backpack pocket, while we were packing.  It's from Neal A. Maxwell: "Though we live in a failing world, we were not sent here to fail."  I guess in my heart, I know that Heavenly Father wouldn't have answered our prayers and set us up for disaster (although over the course of 2013, I have felt like this was one disaster after another).
On Mother's Day, the Primary kids got up and sang "Heavenly Father Loves Me", including my cute Annie who was so brave to go up in a new ward and sing.  That was the sweetest reminder to me that I know Heavenly Father loves me and although I can't always see into the darkness ahead, he can.
Where am I going with this?  We got a job.  Well, Kris got a job (and I get to go back to my job as a stay-home mama).  Idaho Milk Products is the second company that he interviewed with, and they offered him a job.  2 interviews is all it took.  Kris is sort of awesome that way.  People seem to just...like him.  
It's been interesting to see a very real sense of discouragement and then hope.  We've talked alot about how we know its important for us to be in Idaho because of how hard it has been.  Nothing good comes without a struggle.  I could see Kris getting discouraged and we would wonder why we moved to Idaho...and then he got calls for interviews (two in one day!).  Then the waiting...and I watched him (and me too) get SO discouraged.  And then he got a text from one of his references saying someone had called him.  
I can't describe it...it was like watching a church video or something, where you can see the power Satan can have.  I felt like I could almost feel Satan influencing our thoughts.  (Weird?  I'm not sure, but its seriously how I felt.)  Its been a long time since I felt that way.  It was easier to feel discouraged and frustrated than it was to remember why we had faith in the first place.  Thankfully, Heavenly Father knows my weaknesses and still blesses me, even when I doubt.
Kris finding a job so fast has reaffirmed my faith about being here.  Yes, its still really hard.  We've been to church four Sundays and I still don't feel comfortable.  Annie is still talking about living in our yellow house again, which makes my heart a little sad every time.  I'm still very home sick...more so for people than for the place itself.  I really miss my friends!  And there's still weather.  68 degrees on Memorial Day.  I don't even know what that's about.  I must admit, I have never found more comfort in the temple, scriptures and words of the prophets than I have this last month.  A quote from Jeffrey R. Holland has also been a great reminder for me:
"Beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts. Certainly don’t give in to that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness. Face your doubts. Master your fears. “Cast not away therefore your confidence.” Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.".

No comments:

Post a Comment