Thursday, June 13, 2013

My 4 year old is going through a phase.  At least I hope its a phase because I'm unsure whether or not I can deal with this for a lengthy amount of time (like, until she's 12...I definitely can't deal with this till she's 12).  She asks so many questions.  I'm not talking about the "Why?" and "How come?" and those general questions (although she does ask MANY of those too).  These questions are all very specific.  For example, if we're talking about someone, she wants to know how old they are, how old their kids are, where do they live, what color is their house, where are they right now, will they come over to play, what are their kids' names, do they have animals, what is their favorite color...I could go on, but I won't. 

I love my sweet child for wanting to know more about people and the world around her.  However, yesterday after answering a whole series of questions about how old everyone in the family is, I thought to myself, "What happens when she has more questions than I have answers?"  So far, I can successfully accommodate 4 year old questions.  She seems appeased (it might not always be the answer that she wants, or even the right answer...but I can always come up with SOMETHING).  I'm guessing some day I will not have an answer, not even a "Maybe we can talk about it later".  That's sort of scary. 

Last night I was laying in bed and thinking about my sweet 4 year old and how I hope she always asks me her questions, even when I don't have an answer.  I hope she still asks.  And then I was thinking about all the questions I have.  I have SO MANY questions.  There's lots of general "Why?" and "How come?" and vague and general questions about things I can't wrap my head around.  "Why did we move to Idaho..."  "How come things feel so hard..."  "Why can't I lose weight..."  "How come nobody listens to me..."  I could go on.  But I won't.:)

I also have a stream of very specific questions and sometimes it feels like there are WAY more questions than answers.  I even found myself thinking last night, "I wonder if Heavenly Father runs out of answers sometimes..." This morning I decided that its not that He doesn't have the answers...its that sometimes we lack the patience and eternal perspective to wait for them.  Like my cute 4 year old, sometimes I want the answers RIGHT NOW, as soon as I've asked the question.  Its hard to wait for the resolution.  

I wish I had a better understanding of God's timing.  I wish I could end this post by saying, "Well, here's what I learned..."  The truth is, I just have so many questions that I still feel like I need answers to, and the answers aren't coming.  And I'm super impatient (and heavens knows you JUST DON'T PRAY FOR PATIENCE...you don't get patience, you get opportunities to practice patience...and I don't have time for that!).  And I'm not sure what to do with my questions and impatience.  I'm not sure where to go with it, I'm just waiting.  Like everybody else.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment friend! I've been missing from all things life. How are you?

    ReplyDelete