Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday


I've had one of those "reflecting" Sundays. You know what I'm talking about...the ones where you wake up and every song you hear pierces your heart, every speaker in Church seems to be speaking right to you, every lesson seems to have been written specifically with you in mind. I've been reflecting on many things today (which really is kind of a surprise, considering I had to take Annie out during Sacrament meeting and Emily was awake the whole 3 hours), and here's my 3 thoughts (in no particular order):

  • Elder Wirthlin's talk from the October 2006 conference, "Sunday Will Come." http://lds.org/general-conference/2006/10/sunday-will-come?lang=eng
  • "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven." (Praise to the Man, v. 4)
  • "...unto whom much is given, much is required." (D&C 82:3)
From Elder Wirthlin's talk:

Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays.

But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.

No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come.

I don't know what it was about today, but as soon as I sat down in Church, I felt like I had just been waiting all week for that moment. Of course, it's been one of those weeks.:)

All morning I was thinking about "to whom much is given, much is required" and I was lamenting on ALL the things required of me.

Then I got to thinking about it the other way around...to whom much is required, much is given.

The week has been particularly difficult, with a pretty high-maintenance toddler, a colicky infant, a husband working 13 hour graveyard shifts (6 nights in a row!), and me not getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night... You can imagine why I'd start to think, "Why me?" Putting aside all the expected challenges that motherhood, wife-hood, and life in general bring, I have been thinking mostly about a specific challenge that is demanding every bit of faith I have. One that makes me think, "Really? You've got to be kidding me." One that makes me think, "Okay, Lord...I'll do it, but I'm going to need a lot of help."

To whom much is required, much is given.

That's how my challenge makes me feel, as many challenges often do. The reward will come later. My Sunday will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment