Monday, January 24, 2011

Sunday


Two Sundays in a row...somebody must be trying to tell me something! Last Sunday I decided we would work harder on trying to have better Sundays (you know, more "Keep the Sabbath Day holy" kind of stuff). No morning cartoons, no afternoon movie, better attitudes, get to church on time, etc. We've been tuning into BYU Radio and "Music and the Spoken Word." Annie actually really enjoys the music. She sings and dances around. Emily doesn't really care.
Last Sunday was rough. This Sunday was rough too.
For whatever reason, Emily cries. I mean seriously, she just cries. It feels like ALL THE TIME. I know its not...it just feels that way. This Sunday when I realized there was no way I was going to make it on my own (Kris was on day shift), I called my good neighbor (a.k.a. Grandpa). Of course, as soon as I made the effort to ask for help, Emily was OUT. Oh well...Annie appreciated the company.:)
We got to church on time and listened to the prelude music. Annie spread her paper and crayons all over the pew, which was just awesome, since as soon as I limited her paper supply, she FREAKED out and everybody looked at me like I had cut her hand off.
Between two little girls, I had a really hard time listening to the speakers. The first adult speaker, we'll call her Sis. B., she took her talk from Heber C. Kimball's talk in the January Ensign (http://lds.org/ensign/2011/01/the-potter-and-the-clay?lang=eng), "The Potter and the Clay". I missed most of her talk, until I heard, "Jump, I will catch you." She was talking about subjecting ourselves to God's will. And faith. WOW.
In last Sunday's blog I mentioned this certain challenge I've been facing. It seemed like this last week it was just getting more and more difficult, and LIFE just kept happening around me. I hate that.

I loved this quote that she read from Elder Kimball's talk:
There are many vessels that are destroyed after they have been molded and shaped. Why? Because they are not contented with the shape the potter has given them, but straightway put themselves into a shape to please themselves; therefore they are beyond understanding what God designs, and they destroy themselves by the power of their own agency, for this is given to every man and woman, to do just as they please. …

All week I've had two thoughts in my head:
  • ...Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mark 9:24)
  • Humble yourself, before the Lord humbles you.
Hearing that "Jump, I will catch you..." was just like being smacked in the head. I'm beginning to realize that if I'm going to pray about something, and get an answer, I'm better off to just act on that, with absolute faith, than sit around and hope that maybe I get a better answer.:)
The closing hymn was "Be Thou Humble." Okay, seriously...I got the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment